How To Create A Winning Term Paper Abstract: 6 Simple Tips
An abstract is a summary of your term paper that your readers can use in order to get an overview of your work. Usually it is one paragraph of about 100 to 200 words. This part of a term paper helps other people looking for a work on a particular subject decide whether your essay suits their purposes. It also helps readers see the content of your essay at a glance. There are two main types of abstracts:
- Informative abstract.
It usually presents information regarding the background, goal, methods and results of a particular study.
- Descriptive abstract.
It is usually used for scholarly works in humanities or social sciences. It doesn’t give specific information regarding methods and results.
If you don’t know how to write your term paper abstract, here is a 6-step guide for you to follow:
- Create your essay first, then write the part that gives an outline of your writing. Since this part of paper usually summarizes your text, it is easier to make it at the end. This way you will be able to overview your essay. Even if you are sure that you know what your text is going to be about, write this summary in the end – this way the information you present here will be more accurate.
- Determine what type of abstract you will write – descriptive or informative. If your essay is long, it is better to use an informative summary. If it is shorter, then a descriptive outline will be better.
- Give your readers an overview of all the parts of your essay, if you use an informative abstract. Remember to identify the purpose of your term paper. Explain the problem at hand, which methods you have used and what the results of your research were. Do not forget to give the conclusion as well.
- Present helpful information. Do not make your abstract vague. From this part of the essay your reader must find out exactly what you will be talking about further on. It should be precise and without ambiguous phrases or ideas.
- Use key words and phrases in your summary. This is done in order for your text to be easily found in online libraries or databases. This is very helpful if you want your paper to be used for further scholarly research
- Do not be overly specific. Save all the particular points for the main body of your paper. Do not describe any terms or give specific information. The overview should be quite broad.